Hudson Valley Seed educates children in school gardens, empowering students through curriculum-integrated lessons focused on healthy eating, food literacy, outdoor learning, and academic success.
We reach more than 4,000 K-5th grade students each year in elementary schools in New York’s Hudson Valley, in the cities of Newburgh, Beacon, and Garrison. We integrate nutrition education and experiential learning into public school classrooms by bringing dozens of classes each week outside to school gardens to grow and taste new vegetables, read and write, learn math and science, and learn about health and wellness.
With thriving students and more than 14,000 kids on our waiting list, we are growing fast!
We currently teach in 9 schools:
- Sargent Elementary School
- South Avenue Elementary School
- J. V. Forrestal Elementary School
- Glenham Elementary School
- The Garrison Union Free School
- Temple Hill Academy
- Horizons on Hudson Magnet School
- Gams High Tech Magnet School
- Vails Gate STEAM Academy
and three after-schools programs:
- Boys & Girls Club of Newburgh
- Newburgh Armory Unity Center
- Beacon Rec After-School
We will be expanding into Kingston in the Spring of 2018.